Sunday, March 15, 2009

Free SMS alerts for system monitoring

To send SMS alerts to myself when a system event occurs (eg. Server or website not available), I currently use the following method:

1. Event triggers an Email to Gmail
2. Gmail filters forward only qualified messages to Hotmail.
3. Hotmail sends SMS alerts to my mobile (each SMS is chargeable by Hotmail)

However, I'm not happy with this method for 2 reasons:

1. SMS chargeable by Hotmail
2. Delays in SMS up to several hours after email was received

As such, I'm now exploring another method which is free (charges from your Telco maybe applicable though) and using Twitter.

1. Email to Twittermail with @Replies in subject
2. Configure twe2.com to send SMS alert to mobile

Will see how reliable the SMS service is.

2 comments:

Thomas WH Tan said...

Note: @replies are sent once every 2 days from Twittermail, unless a donation of not less than 10 Euro is made to Twittermail.

I tried Direct Message (D username), sent from another Twitter account, and it was received at 11pm. However, twe2 did not send out SMS even after 30mins. I suspect there's some built in delay of sorts. If so, this strategy will not be acceptable.

Thomas WH Tan said...

The SMS was finally received at 2am, a good 3 hours after the DM was received by Twitter.

Will source for better alternatives to Twe2.